Are you looking for the best ayurvedic medicine to increase sperm count? Having low sperm counts can be depressing but with proper guidance and treatment you can increase sperm count to normal. We will tell you how to increase sperm counts using natural ayurvedic medicine for sperm count and lifestyle management.
Types and Prevalence Of Low Sperm Count
Estimates vary but as many as 12-18 million couples experience infertility issues every year in India. While the focus of the medical fraternity is on female infertility, male factor makes for over 51.2% of infertility cases.
The male infertility can be due to low sperm counts, nil sperm counts, abnormality in the morphology (structure) of the sperms or defects in the motility.
Normal Sperm Parameters
The World Health organization has defined the basic parameters that represent a normal sperm count, morphology and motility.
Sperm Count in Men
According to WHO sperm concentration over 15 million per cubic milliliter of semen is considered normal. If the sperms are lesser than 15 million/ml the it is defined as oligozoospermia. In some cases there may be no sperms in the semen at all. This condition is considered severe and it is defined as azoopermia.
Sperm Motility and Its Link With Sperm Count
The semen should have at least 50% sperms with good motility to be considered as normal. Sperm motility is the ability of sperms to move freely in the forward direction. This is vitally important because if the motility is impaired the sperms will not be able to move forward in the vagina to reach the ovum (which lies at the lower end of the fallopian tube).
Now there is direct link between sperm motility and sperm count. As we know that the WHO defined normal sperm count / ml of semen is 15 million. And at least 50% of this should have good motility to be considered normal. That means near about 7.5 million sperms per ml should be motile. Now in most cases the sperm count is way more than the minimum acceptable range of 15 million/ml. So if someone has 25 million sperms per ml of semen and the motility is down to 30 percent (instead of the normal 50%) then also 7.5 million healthy motile sperms are there. Which is required as per WHO guidelines. Conversely, if the sperm count is low, say 10 million/ml but the percentage of motile sperms is high, say 75%, then also the healthy motile sperms are 7.5 million which is quite enough for male fertility. So both sperm motility as well as quantity are important factors that determine fertility in men. Thankfully there are some ayurvedic medicine to increase sperm count and motility that you can use in case you are diagnosed with either or both these problems.
Sperm Morphology (Appearance)
Normal morphology of sperm decides the success rate of fertilization with ovum. WHO defines that at least 4% of the total sperms should have normal morphology. Defects in sperm morphology indicates that there are lesser chances of the sperms to fertilize the ovum.
What Are The Causes Of Low Sperm Count?
Having low sperm counts could be due to many different factors. Usually men working at high temperature workplaces such as welders, blast furnace workers, dyers, men working in cement factories and steel factories and other such places are prone to have low sperms.
Exposure to excessive temperature can have a drastic effect on a man’s ability to produce sperms. Apart from excessive temperature, sperm count and quality are vulnerable to several factors, such as:
- Hormone anomaly, including Hypogonadism
- Born with undescended testicles
- Impaired sperm tubes due to trauma or illness
- Running in the family
- Genital issues
- Testicle surgery
- Over-intake of alcohol
- Excessive smoking
- Substance abuse
- Exposure to certain medications
In some cases, clinical indications of low sperm count are hard to notice while in others, there may be literally nothing to alert you to the falling ratio of sperms in the semen. Nevertheless, consider ayurvedic medicine for sperm count if:
- Unable to conceive a baby despite regular intercourse
- Low libido, improper erection or ejaculation
- Experience pain or swelling in and around testicles
Ayurvedic Medicine To Increase Sperm Count:
There are many natural ayurvedic medicines to increase sperm count. These herbal medicines have almost no side effects and are easily available. You should use these medicines under supervision of a qualified doctor. Given below is a list of 5 ayurvedic medicines to increase sperm count that we found effective.
Note: These herbs are not only useful for low sperm count but they are also excellent ayurvedic medicines for low sperm motility in case the motility is low.
(1) Ashwagandha: An Ayurvedic Medicine To Increase Sperm Count in Men
Ashwagandha is an aphrodisiac herb used in ayurvedic medicines. It has been used in the treatment of oligozoospermia since a very long time. Recent research has also indicated its efficacy as an ayurvedic medicine to increase sperm count. Ashwagandha also increases testosterone hormone level. This helps in low libido and improves sexual performance in men.
Dosage Of Ashwagandha For Increasing Sperm Count
You should take 10 grams of ashwagandha powder or two tablets of containing 500mg of ashwagandha extract two times a day after meals.
For best results keep a gap of one hour before food and taking ashwagandha. You can take it with water as well as milk as per your choice. Milk will give you slightly better results though.
(2) Kaunch Beej : One Of The Best Herbs For Increasing Sperm Count
Kaunch beej, also known as Mucuna Pruriens is highly respected ayurvedic medicine to increase sperm count. It contains L Dopa, a nerve tonic. Mucuna pruriens is known to improve semen parameters in infertile males. Regular use of this herb can help you in case you are suffering from low sperm counts.
Mucuna is scientifcally proven to increase male fertility. In one study 75 males were chosen to study the effect of mucuna pruriens on semen parameters. The researchers found that the semen parameters of the patients improved significantly with the administration of mucuna pruriens.
In another research Mucuna Pruriens was found to recover spermatogenic loss by combating ROS, loss of mitochondrial membrane potential and apoptosis.
Dosage Of Mucuna Pruriens For Optimal Increase In Sperm Count
Raw powder of Mucuna pruriens can be taken 5-10 grams two times a day with water. If you are using kaunch beej extract then 500-1000mg of its extract should be used twice a day. Try not not go overboard with dosage as this can have potential side effects.
(3) Shilajeet: Natures Gift For Infertile Males
Shilajeet is herbomineral compound which is used for rejuvenation and acts as an aphrodisiac sex power medicine. It is an excellent ayurvedic medicine. It increases testosterone production, gives strength to the nerves, promotes urogenital health, strengthens kidneys and maintains youth. Shilajeet is an effective ayurvedic medicine for erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and low libido.
Shilajeet is also very effective in creasing the sperm count. Ayurvedic practitioners have been prescribing Shilajeet preparations from a very long time to patients suffering from Oligospermia. The fact that Shilajeet is a great ayurvedic medicine to increase sperm count is now also backed by several scientific studies. In one study published on PubMed shilajeet was found to increase total semen volume by 37.6%, increase total sperm count by 61.4%, sperm motility by 12.4 to 17.4% ) and morphology by 18.9%.
Dosage of Shilajeet
Shilajeet is used after undergoing a process of purification. The final product for oral consumption is called “Purified Shilajeet” or “Shudh Shilajeet”.
Shilajeet is available in many different forms. It is available as liquid, powder, pure, extract, capsule and tablet form. The dosage of standardized shilajeet extract for adult use is 150 mg twice a day. If you are taking shilajeet in liquid or powder form you should read the product manual carefully to make sure that you use the correct dose.
(4) Safed Musli: The Ayurvedic Medicine Of Choice For Increasing Sperm Count
Safed musli is another aphrodisiac herb that is helpful in the treatment of male sexual dysfunctions. The aphrodisiac efficacy of safed musli is so powerful that it is also know as “herbal viagra”.
It strengthens erection, delays the ejaculation and increases desire to have sex. Its effect on spermatogenesis is also well established. Safed musli is documented to improve both the quality and quantity of semen in adult males in the age group of 20-40 years.
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was performed 20-40 years old volunteers where they were given 500 mg of dried tuber extract of safed musli (chlorophytum borivillanum). The extract was given twice daily in capsule form for 12 weeks. The final results showed significant improvement in overall quality and quantity of semen. The serum testosterone level was also found to increased greatly.
Dose Of Safed Musli To Increase Sperm Count
Safed Musli is available in powder form and capsule form. Capsules are generally in extract form while power is generally raw herb.
If you are taking it in supplement form (capsule or tablet) then take 500 mg – 1 gm of its extract twice daily after meals.
Powder should be taken 1 teaspoon (approx 5 grams) two times a day with water.
For best results it is recommended to continue taking safed musli for at least 3 months.
(5) Shatavari: For Effective Increase In Sperm Count
Shatavari, also known as Asparagus racemosus is a common ayurvedic medicine to increase perm count that is found throughout India and the Himalayan range.
It is commonly used to improve fertility in men and women. Shatavari also reduces stress and acts as an aphrodisiac. Its antioxidant property is well researched. It prevents oxidative stress by neutralizing the free radicals inside the body. Shatavari can prevent the depletion of sperms by decreasing the heat generating effect of Pitta.
Shatavari has a cooling effect on the body. It is very good tonic for general health and vitality. It increases vigor and virility, cures uro-genital infections, burning micturition (urination) and nourishes the reproductive system for optimal functionality.
Dose Of Shatavari
Shatavari powder can be taken one teaspoon two times a day preferably after meals. It is also available as easy to use supplement form. Extract of shatavari can be taken 500 mg two times a day for optimal results.
Tips To Prevent Sperm Loss and Increase Sperm Count
- Reduce Frequency of Sex: Ayurveda considers “semen” or dhatu as the reservoir for health and vitality. It suggests its retention inside the body because semen is the basis of life. Doing sex daily or several times a day can deplete the body of semen leading to poor health.
- Avoid Heat Exposure: It is known fact that the scrotal temperature should be 4 degrees less than the body temperature for proper spermatogenesis (production of sperms). If you are exposed to excessive heat regularly for several hours a day then this can have a serious impact on your ability to produce sperms.
- Avoid Riding Motorcycle For Long Time: Riding motorcycle for long hours imparts great pressure on the lower pelvic area around the scrotum. This reduces the blood supply to the testicles. Also riding in extreme heat can raise the scrotal temperature causing reduction in sperm production.
- Bath In Cold Water: Bathing in hot water is not recommended if you have low sperms. As already discussed the scrotal temperature should be 4 degrees lower than the normal body temperature for optimal sperm production. Hot bath can increase the scrotal temperature and hamper with normal spermatogenesis.
- Use Nuts and Dry Fruits: Nuts and dry fruits are rich source of protein, iron, calcium, zinc and other trace elements. They help in improving the overall reproductive health and fertility.(1) Cashew and Chilgoza are two specific dry fruits which are very good for increasing sperm count.
- Eat Bananas: Banana contains an enzyme called bromelain. This enzyme is responsible for increasing libido and sex hormones. Banana is a rich source of Vitamin B, A, C and Zinc. All of these collectively increase the male fertility by increasing the sperm production.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranate is one of the healthiest fruits available in the world. It is a rich source of Vitamin A, Iron, Vitamin C, Folate and zinc. Pomegranate has great antioxidant, anti inflammatory properties. They help in erectile dysfunction as well as hasten the process of spermatogenesis.
- Loose Weight: Research has shown that obesity is directly linked with your chances of having an abnormal semen profile. Various sperm defects (both in number, quantity and quality) have been detected in obese and overweight men. So if you don’t want to mess up with your fertility, try and keep fit by loosing those extra kilos from your body.
- Avoid Tight Undergarment: Tight undergarments, specially briefs can lead to increase in scrotal temperature. Nature has given a spring mechanism (via cremaster muscle) to our testicles in order to maintain their optimal temperature suitable for spermatogenesis. When there is too much heat, the cremaster muscle relaxes to descend the testis away from the body to cool down the extra temperature, while in cold they contract to pull up the testicles towards the body. Wearing tight underwear may hamper this functionality and no matter what, the testicles are kept in tight proximity to the body. This sometimes has a negative effect on your sperm production.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking is linked to an increased oxidative stress and reduced blood supply throughout the body. This caused depletion of sperms in the body and oligozoospermia in some cases.
Which Treatment Do We Recommend To Increase Sperm Count?
You have two options when it comes to treating low sperm count –
- Mainstream medicine and
- Ayurvedic medicine to increase sperm count
The former involves a bouquet of complicated, unreliable and costly methodologies like IVF, ICSI, Donor insemination and Gonadotrophin medications while the latter relies on natural means. However, not all herbal medicines for increase sperm count are created equal.
Ayurvedic Experts has a reputation for safe, fast-acting and easy-to-follow Ayurvedic remedies. Our specialized treatment package for increasing sperm count is highly beneficial.. This ayurvedic medicine to increase sperm count is proven to restore sperm count and counter other sperm quantity and quality issues effectively. It can even help in Azoospermia, a condition where the sperm count is zero.